May 07, 2007

A recital and a hot tub

So, at the last minute I decided to go to Heather’s recital. The very last minute. By the time I got there the lights had already gone down and I had to sit in the back row. I then had to sit through three others singers, two girls and a guy. They were alright. I’m no music expert – I’m sure if I was I would have appreciated it, but they weren’t excruciatingly bad so I was alright.

Then Heather came out and she was wearing this dress. It was long and black and strapless with big roses on it and her hair was up and she was wearing pearls that I hope came from her dad or maybe a dead grandmother and not from her boyfriend, because really I don’t know that she doesn’t have a boyfriend. I have just kind of been under the assumption that she doesn’t, but why wouldn’t she? But when she came onstage she just looked radiant. Really confident. She’s so quiet and…timid most of the time, when I see her. But she just kind of floated out and took the microphone and introduced herself and her last name is Leffler. She said the name of the song she was going to sing, something in Italian that I didn’t understand, and then she was quiet for a minute. Then the piano started and she started to sing, and I think it was the prettiest sound I have ever heard.

She sang three songs in Italian and then the two girls and the guy who had sung before her came out, and two other guys, and they sang a very pretty song together, a capella, in English, that went something like “My love’s like a red, red, rose.” Then they all took a bow and everybody clapped and the lights came on and they left the stage and I followed people out into the entryway where there were cookies, and punch! Who knew that such great things existed at recitals? If I would have known about that, I would have been coming to random recitals for years just for the free refreshments. The punch wasn’t the greatest, it was red and kind of watered down, but the cookies were great. As I was chilling with my free refreshments, Heather and the other singers came out and a huge line of people formed to go talk to them. Since I wasn’t sure she wanted me there in the first place, I left.

I was going to go out downtown but Derek called, beckoning me back to the house, to go to a party in some girl’s hot tub a few doors down from us at the lake. So I went, had a few beers too many, and stumbled home about 2 a.m. It wasn’t my intention to get that drunk, but the girl whose house we were at – actually her parents’, just another spoiled little rich girl living on Daddy’s dime while her parents are on a four-month safari in Africa – was irritating the hell out of me. And Derek was forcing me to stick around so I could act as wingman, since he has his eye on one of Rich Girl’s little friends, none of whom appeared to have anything going for them intellectually. I kind of wished that I had stuck around Heather’s recital to see what was up. I hope she’s working tonight when I get off work.

No comments: