April 26, 2007

Thursday morning blues

Last night Brews Brothers was packed. It was really unusual for a Wednesday night, because aside from the weekends Wednesday is “the” going out night in Sheffield. Maybe everyone was just getting their caffeine buzz before getting their drink on, I don’t know. I even had to sit at a different table, because by the time I got off work and went home to grab my book (High Fidelity. This is literally the 32nd time I have read this book. The pages are all dog-eared from me having read it so much) most of the other tables were full, including the table where I usually sit. I asked Wyatt one day if I could have a RESERVED sign permanently put on my table, and he said no, so last night I had to squeeze into a little booth in the corner.

After I had gotten my iced tea and my cookie and sat down and gotten all situated, Heather came over to clear one of the tables near me and she said, “Hey.” Then she smiled, and walked away.

Then later, as the crowd was starting to thin out a little bit, she came over and was clearing the table next to me and I could have sworn she was humming “Casimir Pulaski Day” by Sufjan Stevens, which is my current favorite song, despite the fact that some of my buddies think Sufjan Stevens is a “tool.” You know how when you hear someone humming you can tell if they’re going to have a good singing voice or not? Heather’s humming of the Sufjan Stevens song was beautiful. I’m a sucker for a girl who can sing. I expected her to open her mouth and start singing and the sun to come out and a rainbow to form above her head. Really, it was that pretty. And of course I realized immediately that this was the perfect opportunity to talk to her, that WE LIKE THE SAME INDIE FOLK SONG, and I swear I was really going to try. I opened my mouth to speak and was going to say, “Is that Sufjan Stevens you’re humming? I’m a big Sufjan Stevens fan,” but just as the “is” started to escape my lips, an old lady said “Excuse me, miss,” and Heather had to go off to tend to her, and then my cell phone started ringing and my friend Brett wanted to meet for a beer, and I had to go.

No comments: