April 29, 2007

I love weekends in the spring

It's a beautiful day here, so I think I'll be doing my "studying" outside. I use the word study lightly, as the main reason I'm going outside is to get some color. I've been looking a little too pale lately, the computer monitors don't quite give me the tan I want.

Opening yesterday wasn't terrible. It went by quickly, most customers were either just stopping by for their morning pick-me-up, or students glued to laptops. (I'm expecting this place to be packed with the students over the next week.) With the weather changing, the iced drinks are becoming more popular, so I'm slowly learning how to make them. Most of the time, it's just pouring the normal drinks over ice, or blending them with ice, not exactly brain surgery, but still something new.

After work, I went home and tried to nap, but the weather was too nice, and the neighbors were too noisy. They were out grilling, so the smells kept me awake, too. I called up a couple of friends and got a little cook-out going over at Charlie's place. Charlie is the only person that I know with a grill, but he's a good guy so it works well. I'm not sure about his girlfriend, though, she seems too flighty to be around that often. Plus her name is Tiffani, with an "i". I hate that. But she was tolerable yesterday. Dana came by with a couple of our friends, so we sat around and drank some beers while Charlie manned the grill. I offered to do the grilling, I can hold my own with the tongs, but he wouldn't have it, I think he was insulted by my asking. Whatever. If he has to cook on an open fire to feel manly, I guess I won't take it away from him. I just walked away, saying "I'll take my medium-rare, Charles." He hates it when someone call him Charles. Or Chuck. He only wants to go by Charlie.

We stayed there until close to 9, then headed downtown for some more drinks. I really needed them to unwind from the past few days, and to help relax before the busy-ness of finals week starts. It didn't take long for me to start feeling a little tipsy, at which point I decided to head home. I had been up basically since 5 in the morning, and was fading fast. I missed out on a friend's bar crawl, but I don't like those things anyways, so I took the good excuse to miss it. The extra sleep definitely helped, I feel totally refreshed and ready to take on the world. I think I'll start by taking on the lake. It'll be packed, but this is the first day off I've had when it's been this nice, so I can brave the crowds. I know a couple of places that are out of the way, so I'll try those first. I don't want to be antisocial, but I don't really feel like running into too many people I know right now. I just want to take the time to read and relax, and to enjoy the weather.

No comments: