April 30, 2007

The boys of summer

What a weekend.

Devon, Derek, and I spent the weekend getting settled in our cabin and getting hammered, instead of studying for finals, which is what I probably should have been doing, and what I probably should be doing now instead of sitting at Brews Brothers hoping for a glimpse of Heather. I only have two actual finals to take, one on Wednesday afternoon and one on Thursday morning, and I’m not too worried about either of them. All my other papers and projects have been turned in and I’m feeling good about the end of the semester.

The cabin that we’re renting is pretty sweet. It’s actually more of a house than a cabin and I can’t believe we’re getting such a great deal on it, but Devon knows the guy who owns it. He’s going through a divorce and was pretty anxious to get rid of it, but with the housing market the way it is figured it would be easier to rent it out to some poor kids like us. As long as we don’t completely trash the place, we’re in good shape, and it’s ours from now until whenever we decide to move out – as long as we give him a month’s notice before we move out and somebody’s paying the rent, it’s ours. It’s definitely not what you would picture when you hear the word “cabin”. There are two bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen, and a decent-sized living room upstairs along with a deck, and then another bedroom, another bath, a living room, and a bar downstairs with a brick patio that leads out to the dock. Derek’s parents are loaded and have a couple jet skis they bought a couple years ago and hardly ever use, so we’re getting those to play around with.

The weather was gorgeous this weekend too, so we put the dock in and the boat lift – both courtesy of our landlord, whose soon-to-be ex made him sell his boat. Another good friend of ours has a ski boat that he’s going to stash at our place for the summer, which would be sweet even if he wasn’t going to be in Thailand for most of June and July, leaving us in charge of his baby. We’ve really got it made. We’re having our big kick-off party the week before Memorial Day, while most people are still around Sheffield waiting for their leases to run out before they move elsewhere for the summer. I’m hoping to invite Heather, but I still don’t want to be too aggressive. We'll have to wait and see.

Saturday night a bunch of friends went to Brew, this bar in downtown Sheffield, to celebrate Mark’s engagement. He and his girlfriend have been together for six years, so it’s about time, and in spite of the fact that yet another buddy is crossing over to the dark side, we’re all pretty happy for him. It’s a little bit depressing sometimes, when it hits me that everyone’s graduating and getting engaged and moving on with their lives. I know I’ll get there someday – not that I’m in a hurry to get married or anything, I just feel really childlike sometimes. I try not to think about it and just let things happen, and I’m going to live it up while I can.

So the summer of fun is starting out. I set my summer schedule at work on Friday – I work from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, starting next week. It’s only about fifteen minute drive from the lake to Sheffield, so I won’t have to be up before ten, and I’ll get home in plenty of time to grill out and start drinking and still enjoy a couple hours of sunshine.

Life is good.

No comments: