June 07, 2007

Getting flustered

There’s a new girl at Brews Brothers. Her name is Alex – I only know this because she was wearing a “Hello, My Name Is” nametag on our first encounter. Where she got that nametag I will never know. Maybe it’s some new thing that Wyatt came up with while he was on a coke binge or something. I had never once seen anyone wearing a nametag of any sort in Brews Brothers.

Anyway, Alex is cute, I guess. She’s kind of short and has short curly dirty blonde hair and green eyes. I think her eyes are fake. Not fake – I mean, her eyes are real, I just think she wears colored contacts, because they’re too green. Distractingly green, and not really in a good way.

The first time I met Alex was yesterday morning when I ran into Brews Brothers before work. They have new smoothies and I really like the mango papaya ones. Brett made fun of me when I told him I was digging the mango papaya smoothie, but it tastes good and is a good way to help your hangover subside before you have to go dish out cash all day. You’d think that touching all that money would be fun – I once got to give out $8,000 in cash – but really, after awhile it just gets depressing. It’s like pet-sitting a cute dog; you get to play with it, but you don’t get to keep it.

It was pretty empty yesterday morning and there was no one at the counter when I went up to order. Then Alex came out with her big “Hello, My Name Is” sticker and emerald green eyes. So I started to order my mango papaya smoothie and peanut butter cookie, but she interrupted me to ask for my Brews Crew number. (Brews Crew is this great little rewards program that Wendell came up with, where for every dollar you spend you get a certain number of points and once you hit a certain number of points you’re eligible for free drinks, etc.) I was all flustered because she interrupted me, and I accidentally gave her the pin number for my ATM rather than my Brews Crew number, and when she put that in the computer she said “Candace?” and kind of smirked.

Just then Heather walked by and said “His number is 3492,” and smiled at me. “I must be getting my numbers confused today!” I said nervously, feeling like a douche.

“What can I get for you?” Alex asked.

I was still all flustered from being interrupted and giving the wrong number, and because Heather was standing right there, putting coffee mugs back on the rack and looking absolutely adorable. “I’ll have a mapaya…mangapaya…” I stuttered. “M a n g o p a p a y a smoothie. And a peanut butter cookie.”

Heather was kind of chuckling to herself as she went off to help another customer, and I hope she didn’t think that I was nervous, because I wasn’t nervous, per se, and I definitely hope she didn’t think that I was nervous because I like Alex, which I definitely don’t.

Because I definitely like Heather.

No comments: