October 20, 2008

In motion

Plane ticket? Check. I arrive at LaGuardia at 2:33 p.m. EDT on Thursday, October 23rd. I will then hop in the Super Shuttle, which will take me to Heather’s. Perhaps it’s not the least expensive option, but it’s definitely cheaper than a cab, and easier than trying to navigate the subway or bus lines.

Awesome anniversary gift? Check. I made Heather a DVD of pictures from the past year of our relationship, set to “our song,” “The Reasons” by the Weakerthans. But that’s not all – I got her a Sheffield U. hoodie, because she was complaining a couple weeks ago that it’s perfect hoodie weather but her favorite Sheffield one is falling apart, and a book of crossword puzzles for her to fill out while she does her laundry. I also got tickets for us to see Avenue Q on Saturday – she loves musicals and I decided I could tolerate this one because it’s funny and vulgar, and I like funny and vulgar.

Flowers? Check…almost. There’s a flower shop just a couple blocks from Heather’s, and since I packed light (I’m only going to be gone for the weekend, her gifts are small and there’s also a baggage fee on nearly every airline, so I'm carrying on) I don’t mind hoofing it over there to pick her up a dozen red roses.

I think I’m pretty damn romantic, really. Heather and I have been so out of sync lately that I think we really need a weekend to reconnect, and I am really excited to surprise her for our anniversary, even if it is a day late.

And I have another surprise for her – there’s a radio station in New York that’s interested in interviewing me! I’m doing a telephone interview next Wednesday morning for a production position. I’m pumped about it. I never really dreamed of a career in radio, but the more time I’ve spent in the field the more I’ve become interested in it, and I actually feel qualified to be an actual producer, which is weird since I’ve never in my entire life really felt qualified to do anything. I didn’t think I would ever be the one to look forward to entering the “real world” and yet, here I am. It’s funny how things work out.

No comments: