October 08, 2008

An East Coast Girl

I got into Juilliard! With a scholarship and everything! Things have been soooo busy all summer long, into the fall, I feel like things haven't sunk in, hasn't hit me, even a month into my first semester. I mean, I've been in New York for a couple months, but it doesn't feel like home yet, I still feel like I'm going to be going back to Sheffield in a few days. I'm not. Well, eventually I will be, you know, to visit friends, family, Chad. He's been great through all of this, even helping me move and visiting once, but both of us are a little overwhelmed with things right now - he's taking a ton of classes to finish up his degree and helping his mom out when he can, and I'm always studying, practicing, or trying to get my bearings.

I've made a few friends out here, there are definitely some cool people, but then there are also the stereotypical "music people." Everyone's been in the same boat lately, so we've been all hanging out together, but I can definitely notice some cliques forming. I'm not quite sure I fit into one yet, but there are a few people that I've hung out with one more than one occasion. And one of them is a guy, which is driving Chad up the wall with jealousy, but what am I supposed to do? I had guy friends back home, I've had guy friends all my life. I know we're a thousand miles apart right now, so it's a big adjustment all around, but still, I'm not going to sit in my dorm by myself all the time. I think he realizes that there's no threat to him, he just is jealous that other people are able to hang out with me when he isn't. And I understand. It's been a trying time, but we both think it's worth it.

I just have to figure out when I can make a trip home. I'll be back for Thanksgiving, but I think a lot of that time will be spent with family, which is frustrating. Same with Christmas. And my weekends are completely booked well into next semester. It's been a point of contention, but there's nothing I can do about it. Plus, my scholarship covers room and board, but not much else. I didn't save as much as I should have, so I'm trying to cut costs where I can, until I find a job with extremely flexible hours to have some sort of income. I know I'm in the city that never sleeps, but this girl definitely get cranky without it.

No comments: