October 27, 2008

Happy anniversary?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I made it to New York without incident, made it to Heather’s without incident, and was waiting for her when she got home at 5 p.m. She seemed really excited to see me, and she was definitely surprised – she had mentioned that her roommate had been acting really nosy, and of course I couldn’t tell her that I was the reason why. There will be a lot less tension in that apartment now.

She seemed extra surprised that I had brought her flowers, and then when I started pulling gifts out of my backpack for her to open she was really confused and kept asking what they were for. I thought she was joking, but I finally realized that she had forgotten our anniversary.

I hadn’t been able to talk to her on the actual day – she had called while I was at work in the afternoon, and when I called her back later that night and couldn’t get ahold of her I didn’t want to leave her a “happy anniversary” voicemail. I wanted to tell her myself, and when she didn’t call back that night I decided I would wait until the next day to do it in person.

She felt really bad, and apologized about a million times, and I know she’s been busy lately, but I really couldn’t help but feel slighted. I know things are changing, and that we’re going to have to adapt, but the fact that I went through all this effort to celebrate our anniversary when she couldn’t even be bothered to remember it bothered me a lot more than I cared to admit to her. Is that selfish of me?

The rest of the weekend went well. While she was in class and giving voice lessons on Friday I wandered around the city, and walked past the radio station I’m interviewing with next week. I haven’t told Heather about the interview yet, and I don’t think I’m going to until after I’ve heard something back from them. It doesn’t seem worth bothering her over something like that just yet.

We went to see Avenue Q Saturday night. It was really hilarious, and we kept singing the songs to each other the rest of the weekend. We went out for drinks with some of her friends Saturday night, including Vaughn, the guy she’s been spending so much time with. He seems pretty cool, I just hope he doesn’t think I’m a douchebag.

I had to be at the airport late yesterday morning for my 1 p.m. flight, so we grabbed breakfast before I left. We had some time to talk over the weekend and got some things worked out, but I don’t really know if it’s actually going to be better or if it just seemed like it because we were actually together at the time. We promised to make an effort to talk to each other every day, so I guess that’s something. I’m not trying to pretend like I know what’s going on with her right now, but I think I made it very clear that I want to make things work between us. I can only hope she feels the same way.

The flight back was uneventful, save for the million thoughts spinning around in my head. Maybe I’m overreacting about her forgetting our anniversary, but it’s still really bothering me. I’ll get over it, I’m sure, and I think if things start improving between us that will help speed up the process. Plus, I have a lot going on this week, including the phone interview with the New York station at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, so that will help keep my mind off things. I hope.

No comments: