October 20, 2008

Heather in the City

Well things have finally slowed down a little here, I think I'm finally finding my "groove." Not that I'm learning my way around the city at all, that's going to take years, if I make it that long. But I'm able to get to and from class without a problem, and can usually find my way to a deli or coffee shop without a problem. Yes, I still go to coffee shops, even if I spent nearly every day of the last few years in one. You know, it's almost comforting. And a welcome escape from studying, and the dorm life.

Speaking of dorm life, my roommate Alison has really been getting on my nerves lately. She was fine at first, but in the past week, she's been really nosy, asking what my plans are all the time, and where I'm going when I'm heading out. I don't know if she's looking for an invitation or what, but it's frustrating, I feel like I have to sneak around at times. I'm not opposed to hanging out with her, but I just need some Heather time. We sleep in the same room, we don't have to eat together or study together all the time. I'm really looking forward to this weekend, though, I've made some plans with some of my new girlfriends, and I've been able to keep it a secret from Alison! We aren't going to go wild and crazy, just exploring the town, some shopping, and maybe going to a show. Oh, and a trip to Nathan's Famous. I went to one on a trip to St. Louis, but come on, I'm in New York, I think I have to have the original!

Well, it's time for bed. If I'm going to have fun this weekend, I'm going to have to bust my hump during the week, so I can have some free time. On top of everything, I may start giving some vocal lessons this week, if I can find the patience to deal with kids. The ones that are good I won't have a problem with, it's the ones that don't have the natural talent that I'm afraid will drive me up the wall. But hey, money is money, I'm not going to ruin anyone's dream.

No comments: